Wednesday 5 March 2014

11 Weeks out from Ironman lanza




I had hoped I'd be in a much better place this time around. However training has really taken a backward step the last few weeks as Life has gotten in the way. In general Feb wasn't a good month training wise. I wouldn't call it a right off but it wasn't great.

Last weekend we got out to Bohermeen to do a stand at the event and it was great to meet so many people and loads of the guys all got pb's on what was a very tough day for it. Miserable conditions at the start and it did ease off a little through the race but was tough starting a race with a serious wind in your face and rain belting down. Our own Mark Horan from the Ashtown store managed a PB and came home in the top 10.

So what have I been doing since I last updated the blog just prior to Christmas. Well I lost focus a little in January as I signed up with Lisa Howley and a few others to run 2014 Kilometers in 2014. It only works out at 5.5k a day. However I went on a bit of a running streak in January. This then ended when I signed up for "The Tour of Sufferlandia" on trainer road. You had 6 days of cycling sometimes it was only an hour or two but it was so intense that I really found it hard to recover the next day. It started on the Sunday and ran for a week. I actually got to the Saturday but I would have had to do one 2 hour session in the morning and then a 2 hour in the evening to have it completed so ended up pulling out a day early.

I sort of drifted through Feb. Then got to March and realised that I was way off where I needed to be. The running was prob the one thing I thought was going ok however when I tested myself over 21k I thought I'd do an easy enough pace and come in at 1:45 feeling pretty fresh however I came in at 1:48 feeling like I had given it everything.

So hit the panic button and decided for the first time in my stellar Ironman career to download a training plan. So had a look at a few different options lots of them didn't appeal to me because they were 34 weeks long. I eventually found one that was only 12 weeks in length (i'd have to start on week 2), the other major problem was it said sub 9:30 training plan. Now seeing as I've never broken 14hours in 5 attempts going sub 9:30 seemed a bit fanciful. I thought if I'm going to pay for something I might as well see what sort of training these guys do. The answer is a lot. There's no real rest day as such and when I usually consider a balanced week is if I did two sessions of each discipline there are many days when you are doing all three in one day. In fact I think most days on the program involve all three at some point. I'll give it a go I can't see myself sticking to this level of training. It works out at between 15 and 20 hours a week I think i'd be too wrecked to stay with that.

I'll report back next week.

Damo.

No comments:

Post a Comment