Tuesday 29 April 2014

Bike Spill



So training had been going ok. I'd eased off the swimming a good bit and got out on the bike a bit this week with the good weather. Was going to round it off on Sunday with a long cycle with Wicklow Tri getting over the two gaps (sally and Wicklow). I was a bit late getting up so instead of adding 40 k to the 116k cycle I was just going to be doing the 114k spin. 

Felt pretty comfortable for most of the climbs then got to the top of the sally gap. I was descending the gap at a pretty fast pace. Was doing 47kph according to the garmin, when I went over a bit of  gravel and lost control of the bike. The bike literally went from underneath me and for those few seconds I knew I was coming off the bike. There was a car coming the other direction and I remember seeing a big rock at the ditch that was closer to me. As I was coming down I made a bit of a dive for the ditch to my left which seemed softer. Luckily it was softer and I bounced around the bog a bit and then landed in a small pool of water. The initial contact was with my head so think I was out of it for a little while. For what seemed like minutes I sat up and checked everything. I remember looking at my hand and thinking it was going to be broken as it was all discoloured (thought it was early bruising). It turned out it was a bit of floral I had hit on the way down and it brushed off. Amazing I stood up with just a sore neck. My bike is pretty wrecked the gears and brakes are broken right off and I think the frame is cracked.

It wouldn't be an Ironman for me if there wasn't some drama!!

My neck and now my knee is a bit too sore to do any training at the moment. I'll gauge it through the week and see how I feel.

4 comments:

  1. Nasty sounding spill Damo, hope all is well. The bike can be replaced.

    Get back on a descent as soon as you can and get the confidence back for Lanza, there's only room for one Liam Dillon around here ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah thanks Sean. Ah your right it certainly could have been a lot worse. I doubt too many people have come off at that point and walked away unharmed. I need to get my other bike off my nephew to get back on it. The neck is a little too sore at the moment but your right about the confidence need to get going down some hills for sure.

      Delete
  2. I was right behind you. Crikey, you're such a drama queen!

    In fairness, it was a nasty old fall and thank goodness for your Second World War Wermacht helmet that kept the few brain cells you have left, intact.

    At least now you have your Lanza excuse in the bank. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol it wasn't even losse gravel I looked around and saw you closing the gap on me bit like when tyson bit holyfields ear off I just needed to get out of there

    ReplyDelete