Wednesday 6 November 2013

Post Dublin Marathon Blues?

As soon as one event is over I need to get my head into something else. So whilst I had been thinking about other events and what to do I wanted to wait until after Dublin to decide to do something. In the end it was a fairly simple choice. Liam Dillon is going over to do Ironman Lanzarote 2014, I had such a laugh training with him and for the few days over there it seemed like the thing to do. Kelly and the kids had a really good time too. It's actually not a bad place to go with young kids, all they really want is spend time at the pool or beach and Lanza was pretty good for that. The only problem is with the Ironman been on when School is on. Grace is in Senior infants so we might have to take her out for a week. Don't really like doing that.

So training wise last year I really felt like we were controlled by the weather. The weather last year was so bad that I'd say at least 50% of my long rides were either cancelled or cut short. This year I'm going to try and learn to love the turbo a bit more, I just think there's nothing to be gained going out in the pissing rain from start to finish everything is slower and when you check heart rate and power it seems like you weren't even working hard. So I'll try and get out once a week but i'm happy to just sit on the trainer and work hard if it's not an option to go outside.

Have no problems running in the rain, most of the time it's never much longer for 2 hours even the long runs and your generating way more heat on the bike going down cold hills pissing into the rain, just don't see the value. Spent years training in mud baths for Rugby training and told it was good for "character building". Then you play some Argentinian team who've prob never trained in the rain and they are running circles around you because the sessions they did counted, they weren't "character building".

So this year it's a thing called "trainer road" that i'm going to try and do at least one bike session a week on it. The general guideline is two bikes a week two swims a week and hopefully two runs. So i've swapped one of my swims from last year to a run and i've added another run on top of that. Last year I was really only running once a week as I was carrying a bit of an injury that seems to have gone now so fingers crossed I can do three runs a week.


Having not biked since last May i'm really looking forward to getting stuck into the training. This is the typical scene that greets you on  trainer road.


No comments:

Post a Comment